I am sure you have heard a recently married couple say before, “ It took me months to see all of my wedding photographs”.
Most photographers deliver images within 4-6 weeks after the wedding. As a full time wedding photographer, I find that completely and utterly ridiculous. There is no reason that a bride and groom should wait more than 6-7 days to see all the finished images from their wedding.
Top 5 Reasons Why Photographers Can’t Deliver Wedding Photographs In A Timely Manner
1.Inexperience is probably the biggest reason that some photographers will take so long to deliver images. With digital photography and photoshop, some photographers feel that fixing it in photoshop is easier that just shooting the image correctly in the first place. In short they just do not have the experience, equipment, or knowledge of how to correctly expose and frame an image. An experienced photographer can use off camera lighting to balance not only the intensity of the light but the color as well, thus eliminating many hours on the computer. Sloppy and lazy shooting techniques and poor cropping result in more hours needed to edit images. I had a photographer ask me once, “ Isn’t it a pain to take all of that equipment to do a wedding”? My answer was, “ My customers pay me to take amazing images, not to travel light”.
2. Part time photographers is another reason it may take you so long to see your wedding images. Many photographers are available on weekends, but Monday through Friday they have a 9-5 job or have family commitments that distract them from editing your wedding images. At DeFabis photography, our job on Monday morning is YOUR photographs and since we do only weddings. There are no other jobs that interfere with the editing of your wedding photographs.
3. Overshooting is another reason it may take you longer than usual to see your wedding images. Photographers who shoot thousands of images are usually trying to make up for their lack of skill and are hoping that if they shoot enough images there will be a couple of good ones. Important poses should be duplicated but a dozen of the same thing is ridiculous. At DeFabis Photography, we have experienced photographers that have the confidence to know when they have captured the image correctly and move on to create more variety of poses and locations.
4. Not shooting in RAW will not only delay the editing process but also result in sub standard quality. Shooting in RAW allows the photographer to use the most recent software to save time and have more control in exposure, color balance, and contrast when editing your images. Photographers who shoot only .jpg are lazy and delivering an inferior product.
5. Bad posing is probably THE MOST time consuming thing to fix in post processing causing you to wait forever to see your wedding images. I have heard many photographers say, “I do not pose, I go for the natural look” ( which means “I can’t pose a wedding couple”). A properly posed wedding photograph can look natural, create mood, slim waistlines, compensate for tall and short couples, and make you look your best. At DeFabis Photography, we know how to pose a bride in her gown or a couple to create a romantic mood that does not require fixing things in editing.
The DeFabis Photography Approach To Delivering Wedding Images And Wedding Albums
Typical wedding album layout available within 7 days of the wedding
DeFabis Photography has a different approach to delivering wedding images. We pride ourselves on delivering edited images from your wedding within 7 days. For brides who wish to have a wedding album in addition to the digital files, we submit them an album layout within 7 days as well. How do we do that?
- We are full time photographers. Monday morning our job is your wedding photographs
- Weddings are the only thing we photograph. There are no jobs that get in the way Monday – Friday so we can devote all of our time to editing the previous weeks wedding images and designing a stunning wedding album.
- We use the proper equipment and have the skills necessary to shoot a technically perfect image in the camera, thus resulting in less editing time.
- We do not overshoot. Taking dozens of images of the same thing is ridiculous. typically, we deliver about 1,000 edited images from your wedding day.
- Album designs are made within days of the wedding. You might ask, do the bride and groom select the images? The answer is no, not initially, but they do have final say in the album layout. Once our album designs are created the bride and groom have the ability to add, subtract, or change anything in the layout. By creating an album layout early in the process enables family and friends to enjoy the story of the day and makes the process easier for the couple.
- We have had several couples approve the album layout within a few days of us creating the layout and have delivered the physical book within 3-4 weeks of the wedding day.
Joe DeFabis is a 3 time winner of the prestigious Indiana Wedding Photographer Of The Year Award which is sponsored by PPA and IPPG,
I would suggest that you ask your photographer “How long will it take to get my finished images”? If the answer is over 7 days, give us a call at 317-291-8111 and we will be happy to provide you with Wedding Photography Beyond Your Expectations within 7 days of your wedding.